Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fireproof...what I think about my marriage

With all of the hype about the movie Fireproof, as soon as it came out on DVD, I bought it. Jeff and I were unable to see it in theaters for a variety of reasons and so I told him that as soon as it was available, I would by the DVD.

We had the opportunity to watch this movie together, with his parents who have been married for 31 years! I was left speechless. This was probably one of the most heart-warming, thought-provoking movies that I have ever seen. All four of us cried at some point during the movie.

I have learned that our marriage is already Fireproof. Literally and figuratively. The single most tragic event in our marriage happens to be the fire. At the same time, this fire has brought us closer together. God has used the fire to open our eyes to the little things in life, the things that matter most.

I love my husband, but sometimes, I take him for granted. Ok, a lot of times. Like when he makes coffee and lunches in the mornings, how he bathes the little ones and puts them to bed, or draws my bath water for me. Little things to make my life easier. However, through this whole ordeal, he has been my rock. He has been the rock for our whole family. He has picked up the shattered fragments of our lives and made them whole. He has pushed forward, even when I didn't think there was a reason to do so. He has taken control of the chaos and returned it to a somewhat orderly state. His faith has shown me that God only gives you what you can handle. He has brought peace back into our lives. I have opened my eyes to the minute things he does that mean so much.

I want to do the same for him. For so long, I thought I was the rock, the independent one that held everything together. It's amazing how one instance can change your view permanently.

We will begin reading The Love Dare as soon as we move into the new house. We have a great marriage, that gets stronger every day, but there is always room for improvement. I want to make his life easier, just like he has done for mine. I want to be the woman that Elizabeth George aspires to be in "A Woman After God's Own Heart". I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman.

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

Hey! I've been thinking about you... I have 2 twin size comforters that I'm looking to give away. They're both is good condition. One is Care Bears and the other is Cars. I wanted to offer them to you first. Let me know if you're interested! :)

Which grade do you teach at LCA? I think I may be confusing you with another teacher that you look similar to. My brain may be playing tricks on me. :)

Anyway, let me know about the bedspreads and if you want them, how can I get them to you?

Oh, and I agree about Fireproof. Very powerful. I've cried each time I've watched it - and even when watching the trailers. I love that movie.

Keep us posted on how things go with the Love Dare. :)